Friday 19 February 2016

Did You Know? I should love my friend on account of his own goodness and virtues and account of all that he is in himself. I did'nt!


The Teacher was sitting in the wood with thirty or forty monks. They had shared an excellent lunch and they were enjoying each other's company. A farmer passing by, was very unhappy. He stopped and asked theTeacher and the monks whether they had seen his cows pass by. The Teacher said they had not seen any cows pass.
The farmer said, “Monks, I’m so unhappy. I have twelve cows and I don’t know why they all ran away. I have also a few acres of a sesame seed plantation and the insects have eaten up everything. I suffer so much I think I am going to kill myself.”
The Teacher said, “My friend, we have not seen any cows passing by here. You might like to look for them in the other direction.”
So the farmer thanked him and went away, and the Teacher turned to his monks and said, “My dear friends, you are the happiest people in the world. You don’t have any cows to lose. If you have too many cows to take care of, you will be very busy.
“That is why, in order to be happy, you have to learn the art of releasing your cows (laughter). You release the cows one by one. In the beginning you thought that the cows were essential to your happiness, and you tried to get more and more cows. But now you realize that cows are not really conditions for your happiness; they constitute an obstacle for your happiness. That is why you are determined to release your cows.”

We people want to see God with eyes as we see a cow, and to love Him as we love a cow - for the milk and cheese and profit it brings us. This is how it is with people who love God for the sake of outward wealth or inward comfort. We do not rightly love God, when we love Him for our own advantage.
If I had a friend and loved him because of the benefits which this brought me and because of getting my own way, then it would not be my friend that I loved but myself. I should love my friend on account of his own goodness and virtues and account of all that he is in himself. Only if I love my friend in this way do I love him properly

Thank you for stopping by to read, rate and comment. As I was about to finish this post a thought just flashed acroos my mind, Do you really think I'm doing the right thing, operating PetesPlace, I mean? Please feel free to share your thoughts. Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment